I have been out of commission for almost a week now, thanks to a vicious case of food poisoning. Yuck. I wasn’t able to identify the offending foodstuff, but I do know I hope to never ever feel that way again.
Naturally, being limited in my diet has put me in a zombie-like state, dreaming of all the springtime foods I should be eating right now. Rhubarb and asparagus are growing arms and legs in my crisper drawers and putting on a little parade and twirling batons that haunts me when I try to go to sleep. Alas, I have only been able to comfortably digest buttered noodles (often in chicken broth), an entire sleeve of saltine crackers, and rice. And with caloric intake severely reduced, I’ll be working my way back to my normal appetite slowly. Boo.
If I’m ever stranded on a desert island, with no viable source of food, I’ll be a goner. Well, I guess anybody in that scenario would be. But I’ll be first. So. Weak. Without. Food…
I can say that I now have a pretty solid working knowledge of the daytime TV schedule on non-cable TV thanks to the long hours I’ve logged on the couch with two patient pups by my side.
Anyway, here’s a list of links that caught my attention recently to keep you busy while I try to clean up the house and get our lives back in order.
- The latest from Michael Pollan: “…the most important front in the fight to reform the food system today is in your kitchen.”
- Seven, chemical-free (and mostly DIY) acne treatments, and why they’re better.
- I ordered this beautiful book by Jessi Bloom and have been daydreaming about chickens in my backyard.
- Speaking of chickens, I adore this blog.
- Now that the weather is warming up, stay hydrated by making your own electrolyte water.
- Do you know table manners in other cultures? Here’s a snazzy game to help you out.
- Ever wanted to cure your own bacon?
Oh, and hey, I’m working on a project and want to know your favorite summer cocktail. Leave a comment and tell me about it!